Re: st: truncreg problem and the reasons

Subject   Re: st: truncreg problem and the reasons
Date   Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:20:51 -0400

Zou Hong <[email protected]>:
Your problem seems ideal for -poisson- (or -glm- or -zip-); see
http://www.statacorp.com/statalist/archive/2007-04/msg00549.html
and related posts for some relevant discussion.

Suppose "ins" is insurance and "asset" is value of insurable
assets--then you should
. g lna=ln(asset)
. poisson ins lna size1 tang, r
to get an estimate of the elasticity of insurance with respect to
assets.  Your current model *assumes* the elasticity is one, i.e. the
model with the coef on lna constrained to one is equivalent to
. g ratio=ins/asset
. poisson ratio size1 tang, r
but you do not know that the coef is equal to one, right?

As an example, consider:

webuse nlswork, clear
keep if year>78
bys id (year): drop if _n<_N
gen total=wks_work*hours
gen wage=exp(ln_w)
gen earn=wage*total
gen lntot=ln(total)
poisson earn lntot grade tenu, r
test lntot=1
poisson wage grade tenu, r

Note that just because you can't reject the null hypothesis that the
coef on the "denominator" variable is one, doesn't mean you should
blindly accept the null. (There is a positive association between
higher hours and higher wages in the example, and there likely is a
similar pattern in your insurance and assets data.)  It just makes
sense to estimate the parameter IMHO.