Re: Re: st: Cluster/PCA for predicting a binary outcome?

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: Cluster/PCA for predicting a binary outcome?
Date   Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:11:52 +0100

Frank Harrell has a characteristically incisive summary
of logistic vs discriminant analysis in his "Regression
modeling strategies" (Springer, New York, 2001), with
references. The burden is: go with logistic.

(By the way, he ain't fond of stepwise.)

E. Paul Wileyto

You're looking for discriminant analysis (look up Stata help on
discrim)...  It's like PCA, but you can think of it as selecting the
variable.

But, for a binary outcome, many simply use logistic regression.