RE: st: Copy table--how to consistently get correct tab stops

From   David Radwin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Copy table--how to consistently get correct tab stops
Date   Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:06:15 -0700

I respectfully disagree with Tim on SPSS v. Stata on this matter. I used to use SPSS a good deal and still do occasionally, and while Stata is superior in almost every way, in my opinion SPSS is better able to create tables that are simple to copy and paste into Excel or Word for further formatting.

While Tim's technique of inserting text like "zzz" or converting paragraph marks to tabs might work to copy Stata tables, it still requires extra steps in Word or Excel that are not necessary with SPSS. To demonstrate what I mean, below are links to two files containing the crosstabulation of mpg by rep78 that I used as an example earlier. In each file, the first table was pasted from Stata 9.2 and the second was pasted from SPSS 11.0. The key difference is that in both Excel and Word, the SPSS table pasted correctly with no additional formatting while the Stata table incorrectly added an extra column. The SPSS table also has the nice feature of not breaking up the headings into two lines.

https://webfiles.berkeley.edu/~radwin/Copy_table_to_Excel.xls

https://webfiles.berkeley.edu/~radwin/Copy_table_to_Word.doc

In my line of work (university administration), Excel and Word are the standard for creating and sharing data analysis (although these analyses are often converted to Powerpoint or PDF for the latter purpose). Pasting tables quickly, efficiently, and accurately into these programs is far more important than, say, providing correct standard errors for multinomial logit for a survey with multistage sampling.

In fact, copying tables is the main issue that prevents me from universally recommending Stata to my colleagues (as opposed to SPSS, SAS, or nothing at all). I wish this were possible from the standard -tabulate- commands, because most of my colleagues are not interested in learning -display- or -tabout- to get a properly formatted table into Word or Excel when they could do so more easily in SPSS.

David