Re: st: RE: Graphs: patterns instead of solid colors in Stata Maps

From   Jeph Herrin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Graphs: patterns instead of solid colors in Stata Maps
Date   Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:17:47 -0400

While I applaud the dedication of StataCorp to quality
presentation, many of us have to work with publications
that do not share this dedication. Just as I prefer Word
to allow me my grammatical errors, Stata would be more
valuable if it allowed me my errors of presentation. But
for top tier medical journals I must routinely resort to
Excel for those...

Nick Cox wrote:
Stata does not support stripes, whether straight, wavy, or of some other kind; nor does it support stipples, spots, polka dots, or other kinds of patterns. The good people at StataCorp read Edward
Tufte's books, and in particular his admonitions about Moire
vibration, and resolved not to do that.
Please change your mail signature from "Stata List" as far as communications with this list are concerned. This may amuse you, or otherwise be congenial or convenient, but I suggest that it is an inappropriate identity for a member of Statalist. It is not compulsory, but it is an almost universal habit on this list to use real names and not hide identities.
Nick [email protected]
Stata List (a.k.a. AC)
I've been using Stata's graph capabilities to make amazing coloured
maps, with different colours for different indicators. However, since
most printing is done on B&W printers, I would like to know how to
specify patterns (say, 45 degree stripes, or spots, etc.) instead of
only solid colours.