RE: st: Suggestion regarding lookfor

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Suggestion regarding lookfor
Date   Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:30:13 -0000

The analogy is not as strong as you would like it to
be. -lookfor- works easily because the variable names
and variable labels are accessible to the programmer
for the dataset currently in memory, but -describe using-
does not bring those into memory. So a -lookfor using-
would seem to need a hit on -describe-; or reading in all those
datasets at least temporarily; or something else. I
suspect it could be done, but it does not sound as easy
as you hope.

Grealy, Patrick J