st: RE: Stata vs SPSS

From   "Carter Rees" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Stata vs SPSS
Date   Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:23:05 -0400

Raphael,

If they become regular users of SPSS, they will probably start using SPSS
syntax language anyway.  Use Stata, it is much cleaner and easier to learn.

Carter

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Raphael Fraser
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 4:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Stata vs SPSS

I am being persecuted by some of my students for having to learn Stata
rather than SPSS. "SPSS is so easy to use" they say. "Why do we have
to type every thing?" one student complained. This is always the case
in my Intro to Stata classes but at the end of the course they show
much appreciation for learning Stata especially when they have to do
data manipulation. But this year is different. There is a student
rebellion. They see me as a "Stata Dictator" and is desirous of
"Democracy." So I have decided to be more "diplomatic" with a Stata vs
SPSS comparison.

Who can come up with TEN reasons why my students should choose Stata over
SPSS?

Raphael