Re: st: RE: Latitude, Longitude and distances

Subject   Re: st: RE: Latitude, Longitude and distances
Date   Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:55:21 -0400

Dear "MA V" --
I think your preferred method of storing distance between 30 locations
depends on what you need to do with that info later, but it's easy to
think that you might want 870 observations with location_id1,
location_id2, and the distance between those two (or 435 obs where the
identity of 1 and 2 is unimportant, only that each pair is included).
Assuming you can put your data is a shape like this:
id1 id2 lat1 lon1 lat2 lon2
you can use the vincenty program like so:
vincenty lat1 lon1 lat2 lon2, g(d1) h(d2)
to generate distance variables.

Don't have the vincenty program?  Here it is:
net from http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nicholsa/stata
net install vincenty
No help file or warranty supplied, but references available on typing
which vincenty