Re: st: calculating longitudinal-latitudinal distances

Subject   Re: st: calculating longitudinal-latitudinal distances
Date   Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:14:12 -0400

Assuming you have a dataset of legal providers, you don't need to
treat people differently depending on what type of state they live in,
since the nearest provider for some people cannot lie inside their
state, while it may for others, but the nearest provider *can* lie
outside the state for either type of person.  Assume you've got N obs,
one per person, with lat/lon in your primary dataset people.dta, and M
providers with lat/lon in your provider data prov.dta. Then try this
approach on for size (assumes you may want to know something about the
nearest provider other than distance to it, e.g. what state it's in,
or costs of services):

use people
gen provid=.
gen mindist=.
sort id
forv i=1/`=_N' {
 su lat in `i', meanonly
 scalar plat=r(mean)
 su lon in `i', meanonly
 scalar plon=r(mean)
 preserve
 use prov, clear
 vincenty lat lon plat plon, gen(dist)
 su dist, meanonly
 keep if dist==r(min)
 * What do you do if multiple providers are all closest?
 * I pick one at random.
 * You could instead: scalar n=_N and save IDs
 *  in a loop, then expand n after the restore
 scalar cprovid=provid
 scalar mdist=dist
 restore
 replace provid=cprovid in `i'
 replace mindist=mdist in `i'
}
sort provid
merge provid using prov, uniqusing

You can get vincenty.ado via the command
net from http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nicholsa/stata
or use your own method.

All of the above is untested code--use at own risk...