Re: st: RE: backing up ado files

To   [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: backing up ado files
Date   Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:48:36 -0500

At 12:19 PM 4/20/2006, Steichen, Thomas J. wrote:
> Michael McCulloch
>
> Is backing up my treasured collection of ado files simply a matter of
> backing up the directory C:\Program Files\Stata9\ado?

Type -adopath- on the command line to see all the needed directories.
Just to be clear, you probably don't need to back up every directory that has ado files. Most users will just want to back up the ado files they have downloaded from SSC and other sites, as well as any ado files they have written themselves. At least on my machine, if you run -adopath- you'll find the stuff you want in the paths labeled PERSONAL and PLUS. I would be leery about backing up and restoring Stata's own official files; I'd be more likely to reinstall Stata if my current copy of those files somehow got corrupted.

You could, of course, be putting user-written ado files anywhere along the ado path, but I suspect anybody who is doing that is either (a) being sloppy or (b) being smart and knows that they have to have those files backed up separately.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]