Re: st: RE: pie charts

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: pie charts
Date   Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:37:56 +0100

In a first stage I had dropped all the partners but the ten main partners for each year that is why there is nothing in the syntax to identify these partners.
I wonder if the problem is not that the ten first partners are not the same for each year? And even though the ten first main partners are not the same why stata cannot, for each year, apply the command? Isn't there something to do with the long or wide format of the data?

By the way, a time series graph could be used to show the evolution of one particuliar partner but not of the structure contrary to a serie of pie charts which could, I think, both represent the distribution of the pie and the evolution in the size of the pie...

Anyway thank you for your answer,
regards
Christopher

I have three ideas here.

1. The variable -partenaires- evidently
has 229 categories, and Stata will be struggling
to cope.

Quite possibly all you will see is a legend and the
charts themselves will be out of sight.

2. I can't see how your syntax corresponds to
identifying the ten main partners.

3. Although you want a series of pie charts
it is difficult for me to see how they will convey
the structure of your data at all well. A time series
graph appears more natural here. Stata does supply
pie charts -- largely so nobody can say "But you
can't get a pie chart in Stata!" -- but that doesn't
make them an effective method for showing comparative
structure over time.