st: Re: Re: Learning LaTex

Subject   st: Re: Re: Learning LaTex
Date   Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:55:09 -0500

Thanks for the plug of my NASUG talk, but I don't think what I presented would apply to the typical array of varying tables that may appear throughout a document. My talk was about producing a set of tables and graphs that would cover one page that needed to be repeated many times with different data.

I think that what the original post wanted is a little different. However, I don't understand why there would be any need for Excel when it comes to the graphs. I typically create all of the graphs needed for a report using a Stata .do file that also converts them to .wmf format so that I can have them linked into an MS Word document. I can then remake the graphs easily and then open the report document and have all of the graphs automatically updated. Tables require more work (at least with MS Word), but apparently can be done fairly easily if you use Tex.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Friedrich Huebler" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 2:32 PM
Subject: st: Re: Learning LaTex

Buzz,

Why do you need Excel when you can make tables and graphs with Stata?
Michael Blasnik describes how to use Stata and MS Word to generate
the kind of report you seem to work on. For your information I
include the abstract of his presentation at last year's Stata Users
Group meeting in Boston.

Friedrich Huebler

Mass producing appendices using Stata and word processor mail merge
http://www.stata.com/meeting/4nasug/mblasniknasug.ppt
http://www.stata.com/meeting/4nasug/abstracts.html

Abstract: Confronted with the task of producing a large appendix to a
report that involved a page of tables and 3 graphs for each of 186
panels, the author discovered an approach to automate this process
using Stata combined with the mail-merge facilities of a word
processor. A Stata do-file produces all 558 graphs and writes an
ASCII file of data that also includes the graph file names for each
panel. A one-page mail-merge document is set up in the word
processor, and the Stata output is used as the data source to
automatically create the entire 186-page appendix with all tables and
graphs placed as desired. This session will outline how to employ
this approach for such otherwise daunting tasks.

--- Winfield Scott Burhans <[email protected]> wrote:
Roger, my hope is to use LaTex for a report set that is currently
generated from a series of Stata *.do files which create *.csv
files which
are then used as external data sources that automatically refresh
multiple
data ranges in Excel, which then are used in both tables and
graphics
generated from that data.  The Excel file is printed and then
refreshed
with a new run of Stata.  Currently this involves invoking Stata,
then the
Excel file, and then manually refreshing the Excel file after each
run
through the Stata *.do files.  What drove me to Excel originally
was that
I needed the graphics in the report I printed, and I couldn't
figure out
an easy way to refresh the graphics in the report (this was created
several years ago).  I assume I can do this in LaTex.