st: Re: Learning LaTex

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Learning LaTex
Date   Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:32:38 -0800 (PST)

Buzz,

Why do you need Excel when you can make tables and graphs with Stata?
Michael Blasnik describes how to use Stata and MS Word to generate
the kind of report you seem to work on. For your information I
include the abstract of his presentation at last year's Stata Users
Group meeting in Boston.

Friedrich Huebler

Mass producing appendices using Stata and word processor mail merge
http://www.stata.com/meeting/4nasug/mblasniknasug.ppt
http://www.stata.com/meeting/4nasug/abstracts.html

Abstract: Confronted with the task of producing a large appendix to a
report that involved a page of tables and 3 graphs for each of 186
panels, the author discovered an approach to automate this process
using Stata combined with the mail-merge facilities of a word
processor. A Stata do-file produces all 558 graphs and writes an
ASCII file of data that also includes the graph file names for each
panel. A one-page mail-merge document is set up in the word
processor, and the Stata output is used as the data source to
automatically create the entire 186-page appendix with all tables and
graphs placed as desired. This session will outline how to employ
this approach for such otherwise daunting tasks.