RE: st: RE: RE: RE: summing across bins

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: summing across bins
Date   Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:04:23 -0000

(First of all, for anyone vaguely interested
but unclear what is being discussed,
-binsm- was published in STB-37.)

I did consider this, but am not keen on
such a solution.

-binsm- can show several summary functions
for each of a series of bins (read vertical
bands on a scatter plot). So a call might
include (in the new and as yet unpublished
syntax)

... su(mean median gmean)

and -binsm- calls up those -egen- functions.

Adding an extra "bag" option would clearly
be possible, but starts everyone moving on
a slippery slope.

Users are then going to try to see if (say)

... su(wtmean median gmean) egenopts(w(foobar))

works and wonder either on Statalist or
to me why it does not work, whether there
is a way round it, and so on and so forth.

In short, this is my program and I draw the
line somewhere at complicating it further,
given other things to do. Once the program
is available anyone is free to clone it and
modify it if it doesn't do what they want.

David Harrison

> One further suggestion for -binsm-...
>
> If you add an option to pass additional options to -egen-,
> then weighted
> means (and various other things) could be achieved by using a
> user-written -egen- function (e.g. _GWTMEAN).

Nick Cox