st: Re: ugly fonts and odd crashes of Stata 9 for Linux under SimplyMepis 3_4_3

From   "Kerry Kammire" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: ugly fonts and odd crashes of Stata 9 for Linux under SimplyMepis 3_4_3
Date   Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:28:08 -0600

Anders Alexandersson <[email protected]> wrote:

> The problem is that all the fonts in Stata look ugly when I use
> SimplyMepis 3.4.3. The fonts look great when I use another
> application, e.g., OpenOffice Writer or Firefox.
> Also, Stata often crashes with a GTK error message when I try to
> change the preferences in an attempt to fix the problem. Sometimes
> this is the error message when Stata crashes:

My guess is that your Unix distribution did not install the X11 bitmap fonts
by default.  Stata requires X11 font version of Times and Helvetica to
function properly.

For example, on my Fedora Core 1 Linux box, my X11 bitmap fonts are stored
in:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/

In /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, there are tim* and helv* font files.

I'm not familiar with your Unix distribution but most OS installers I've
seen
allow you to install optional packages after the fact.  You'll want to rerun
your installer and see if there is an option to install the X11 bitmap
fonts.

-Chinh Nguyen