st: ugly fonts and odd crashes of Stata 9 for Linux under SimplyMepis 3_4_3

From   Anders Alexandersson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: ugly fonts and odd crashes of Stata 9 for Linux under SimplyMepis 3_4_3
Date   Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:47:58 -0500

I have been using Stata 9 regularly without any problems on
SimplyMepis 3.3, a user-friendly Debian-based GNU/Linux distribution.
Today, I did a clean install on my personal laptop of the final
release of SimplyMepis 3.4.3, which is the newest version of
SimplyMepis. I then installed Stata 9 for Linux, and updated Stata.
-verinst- shows that Stata is correctly installed and I ran a few
commands without any problems. I allocated 100 MB of memory to Stata;
the laptop has 1 GB of RAM. Stata is fully updated.

The problem is that all the fonts in Stata look ugly when I use
SimplyMepis 3.4.3. The fonts look great when I use another
application, e.g., OpenOffice Writer or Firefox.
Also, Stata often crashes with a GTK error message when I try to
change the preferences in an attempt to fix the problem. Sometimes
this is the error message when Stata crashes:

Gdk-ERROR **: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Gdk-ERROR **: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)

Less often this is the error message:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkfontsel.c: line 1316
(gtk_font_selection_select_best_style): assertion `best_style != -1'
failed.

Any ideas about how to fix my ugly fonts and odd crashes in Stata 9
under SimplyMepis 3.4.3 would be appreciated. Can someone else who
uses Stata 9 in SimplyMepis 3.4.3 confirm or disconfirm this problem?

Anders Alexandersson