RE: st: Testing & modifying ado file without reloading data set

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Testing & modifying ado file without reloading data set
Date   Wed, 25 Jan 2006 06:32:58 -0600

At 06:22 AM 1/25/2006, b. water wrote:
Thanks to Rich Goldstein, Thomas Steichen and Nick Cox for their inputs.

Rich's suggestion -discard- from the Stata's command line: did something (I don't know what in my context, though I know what -discard- supposed to do from the manual), but the next time (right after -discard-) I invoke my ado, I received the following message:

.progtest var1 var2 var3
unrecognized command: progtest not defined by progtest.ado
r(199);
Discard should always work (I have it on my special function keys as a global macro). When you get an error like that, do 2 things. First -which progtest,all- to make sure you have only one version of progtest. Then open progtest with an editor and look at the line the begins with -program- (or program define). It is usually the case that there is an error right there. However, the fact that it worked after rebooting suggests you may have different version in different directories.

Fred Wolfe

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
Tel (316) 263-2125 Fax (316) 263-0761

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/