Re: st: Testing & modifying ado file without reloading data set

From   Richard Goldstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Testing & modifying ado file without reloading data set
Date   Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:34:52 -0500

ado file remain in memory

use the -discard- command to eliminate them from memory

Rich

b. water wrote:

Dear Listers,

Stata 8.2 Windows XP Pro SP2,

This is my first stab at testing and modifying an ado file. I have the ado file opened and do my modifications on MS Notepad and saved (File -> Save on Notepad) on c:\ado. I have Stata opened too, with data loaded to test the ado file. I typed the the name of the ado file to invoke it. It went well. There is a small snag.

When I made any changes on the Notepad and saved the changes, if I merely retyped the ado file, it executes the ado without reflecting the changes that I have made (as if no changes has been made). However, if I -clear-, reload the data set and execute the ado file again (with the changes), it is now executed to reflect the changes.

Is this supposed to be the way it is or am I missing a command to be included in the ado file? I have used -capture program drop- top of the line but including this or not, did not seem to make a difference. I browsed [U] Chp. 21 and [P] Index to see whether there is a guide on this but could not find any. I tried to search Stata and Google with the above subject as search terms but again no luck. Help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,
bw