st: Error message "type mismatch"

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Error message "type mismatch"
Date   Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:25:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I transfered my data from long to wide, and thus have continuous variables
like obrum1 through obrum10. I want to add the values of each obrum*
variable together. I am trying to use the command egen
obrumtot=rowtotal(obrum1-obrum10).

However, it keeps giving me an error message "type mismatch". I looked
into those 10 vars. The storage type of obrum1 and obrum2 is int., and
that of the rest is byte. Does this have some say on the error message?

I also tried to use recast to set the int. to byte., but it didn't seem to
be working.

I have done some research and didn't have any luck. Can anybody kindly
suggest me how to deal with this?

Many thanks,
Ying