RE: st: StataCorp Statalist Archives (was: rating responses)

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: StataCorp Statalist Archives (was: rating responses)
Date   Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:17:08 -0500

Alan Riley writes (in part):

> If Thomas is talking about the search box available at the
> top of http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/

Yes, I was referring to this.

> then adding
> more keys should NOT get more message hits.

Right, I stand corrected.  Investigating further (rather than
relying on my faulty memory), I see what I tried to do was
search for a phrase by placing it in quotes.  Doing so does
not result in anything different from an AND of the words in
the phrase.

> We should also provide a link to the
>
>    http://www.stata.com/search/advsearch.html
>
> which provides much more control over the way results are
> matched. This page is fairly self-explanatory, but it also
> needs documentation which we should and will add.

Yes! you should provide a link Alan!  This level of search control
is what I was hoping for and will make the archive much more
valuable!

Having said that, I will note that I just tried a "full phrase"
search that appears to have gone haywire. I searched the phrase
"steichen cox" and received 10425 hits.  I checked only a few hits
but, of the hits I checked, none contained that phrase!  It appears
the words were OR-ed rather than treated as a phrase.  Now I suspect
it was this type of behavior in previous searches that led me to my
original comment.

Tom

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential, protected by the
attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-
public information. If you are not an intended recipient of this
message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from
your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this
message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients
is not authorized and may be unlawful.