st: StataCorp Statalist Archives (was: rating responses)

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: StataCorp Statalist Archives (was: rating responses)
Date   Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:10:17 -0500

Nick Cox writes {in part):

> 2. Suggest to StataCorp that it should be
> written up as an FAQ. That said, I guess
> StataCorp would want to point out that
> archiving Statalist postings and making
> that archive searchable is their main
> way of making Statalist a resource.

This comment about making the archive searchable reminded me
of a minor frustration with that search tool.  That is, it is
very difficult to find a particular message with the available
search tool (even if you know the message is there), mainly
because of the limited search options available. It appears every
search is of the nature: find messages that contain KEY1 or KEY2
or ....  That is, adding keys gets you more message hits, not
fewer.  I only say it "appears" that every search is of this
nature mainly because the search tool has no documentation.
Perhaps there are ways to modify the search... but I have not
found the technique.

Thus my question: has any one figured out how to refine searches
using this search tool?

And a further thought for StataCorp: I would find some help
documentation about the search tool, itself, to be very useful.
Could some be added to the Archive search page?

Tom

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential, protected by the
attorney-client or other legal privileges, and/or proprietary non-
public information. If you are not an intended recipient of this
message or an authorized assistant to an intended recipient, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from
your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this
message and/or any of its attachments (if any) by unintended recipients
is not authorized and may be unlawful.