st: solving equations with stata

From   Gianfranco Spiteri <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: solving equations with stata
Date   Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:34:42 -0000

Hi,
I am trying to perform a downweighting process for a dataset I am working on
(for an outbreak detection system of infectious diseases based on the
Farrington method). As part of the process I have got to a point were I have
a list of residuals (res). I need to create weights for the original data
based on these residuals using the following formulas:
weight = a * res ^ -2
where a is a constant such that:
sum of all weights = n

where n is the number of observations (n is 35 or less with this method)
I'm sure there is a relatively straight forward way of doing this in stata,
but I cant seem to find it. Can anyone help me out,
thanks
Gianfranco

Gianfranco Spiteri
CDSC (NI)
McBrien Building
Belfast City Hospital
Lisburn Road
Belfast
BT9 7AB

[email protected]
Tele: +44 (0) 28 90263765   Fax: +44 (0)  028 90263511

***
The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is
confidential and intended solely and for the attention and use of the
named addressee(s). It may not be disclosed to any other person without
the express authority of the HPA, or the intended recipient, or both.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy,
distribute or retain this message or any part of it. This footnote also
confirms that this EMail has been swept for computer viruses, but
please re-sweep any attachments before opening or saving.