st: RE: Overlaying Strip Plots

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Overlaying Strip Plots
Date   Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:53:44 -0000

-stripplot- is a user-written program on SSC.
The help file is quite explicit in indicating
that what Raphael wants is not supported.

As far as I can see, there at least three answers to
Raphael's question:

1. Use the -by()- option instead of -over()-.
The author of -stripplot- thought that much
nicer graphs could be produced for several
variables and several groups by exploiting the
facilities offered by -by()-.

2. Yes, this can be done. You must clone -stripplot-
and modify your version to allow this. Some programming
is thus required.

3. Yes, this can be done. You need to -reshape-,
or otherwise restructure, your data so that that they define
either several  variables or several groups, but not both.

Raphael Fraser