Re: st: compact output for series of one-way tabulations

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: compact output for series of one-way tabulations
Date   Mon, 23 May 2005 15:23:04 -0500

At 3:30 PM -0400 5/23/05, Richard Goldstein wrote:
I have a set of 32 variables, each can have any of the categorical values. What I want is an output that (excluding the header) is 32 rows by 5 columns, where the first column is the variable name and columns 2-4 are the three categories (frequency or count) and the last column is the total number having one of the three categories.

Suppose your variables are foo, bar, hello, world, etc., and suppose you have a record identifier named id (you could just use the observation number if you don't):

id foo bar hello world
1. 1 1 1 2 1
2. 2 2 1 3 3
3. 3 3 1 2 .

In this case, you could use the following:

foreach var of varlist foo-world {
ren `var' category`var'
}
reshape long category, i(id) j(variable) string
table variable category, col

I generally prefer the sparseness of the -table- output, but if you want the zeros you could substitute the -tabulate- command instead.

-- Phil
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/