Re: st: Stata 9 announcement

Subject   Re: st: Stata 9 announcement
Date   Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:07:00 -0500

At 08:46 AM 4/6/2005 -0500, Alan Riley wrote:
In Stata 9, value labels have a maximum length of 32,000
characters.  When reading a Stata 9 dataset, Stata 8 is
"smart" enough to not read in any value labels that would
exceed the Stata 8 limit.
Thanks Alan. Just as a matter of curiosity, why would somebody even want a 32,000 character value label (or even 244 or 80?) I suppose you could put an entire questionnaire into your value label if you were so inclined! But for documentation purposes, I would think there would be better approaches than trying to cram so much information into a value label.

My own bias is to have nice, short labels (Stata output generally truncates after around 10 or 11 characters anyway, right?) But perhaps I overlook some benefits here.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/