RE: st: Stata 9 announcement

From   "Joly, Patrick: IAB" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata 9 announcement
Date   Wed, 6 Apr 2005 09:50:43 -0400

Richard Williams
> Something I don't believe has been asked yet:  Are the file
> formats of
> Stata 8 and Stata 9 identical?  I hope so.  If not, somebody
> once proposed
> that the last update of an older version should include the
> ability to
> convert files from the new version.  I think that is a very good idea.

I believe they are still in the same format since the format for Stata 8 datasets is called format-113 (see help dta) and http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?dta hints that the format remains the same in version 9.

Still, I am not sure how the new 32,000 character limit on value labels now affects the format.  I presume Stata 8 would not be able to properly read version 9 sets that make use of these longer value label strings.

I am fairly certain the facility for -label language- introduced in Stata 8.2 did not require a new data format since the language feature is implemented through characteristics.

Patrick