Re: st: Upcoming NetCourses

From   David Harless <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Upcoming NetCourses
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2004 07:38:45 -0400

Mr Crow,
I got this message via Statalist, and I wanted to make a suggestion. I took NC-151 a few years ago and I found it to be extraordinarily helpful. I hope StataCorp will consider offering a course on the new Stata Graphics. I have been working with them a fair amount and have made some nice graphs, but it would be helpful to have a course that emphasized underlying principles -- currently I find myself spending a lot of (too much) time paging through the graphics manual looking for very specific information.

Thanks for considering this.
Dave Harless

Kevin Crow, StataCorp wrote:

StataCorp will be offering sessions of NC-101 and NC-151 starting September 10th and
NC-152 starting October 8th. The NetCourses are available on the Internet using a
web-based system to deliver lectures, problem sets, and solutions. Course
participants and Stata course leaders interact through a bulletin board to
discuss the course and to ask and answer questions.

Here is a little more information about the upcoming NetCourses:

NetCourse 101. Introduction to Stata

Course length: 6 weeks (4 lectures)
Course dates: September 10 through October 22 Deadline for enrollment: September 9 Cost: $95
Course Leaders: Kevin Crow, Kerry Kammire, and Derek Wagner
Prerequisites: Stata 8 installed and working.
Internet web browser installed and working. (Course is platform independent.)
Schedule:
Lecture 1 September 10
Lecture 2 September 17
One-week break September 23 through September 29
Lecture 3 October 1
Lecture 4 October 8
Closing discussion
Course ends October 22

Content:
o Getting started with Stata o Understanding the fundamentals of Stata syntax
o Managing and organizing work and files
o Searching for new commands, help, and other information
o Installing new commands over the web
o Managing data
o Managing categorical variables
o Handing groups with -by- processing
o Reading various types of data into Stata
o Match-merging and appending data

NetCourse 151. Introduction to Stata programming

Course length: 6 weeks (4 lectures)
Course dates: September 10 through October 22
Deadline for enrollment: Septmeber 9
Cost: $125
Course Leaders: Kevin Crow, Kerry Kammire, and Derek Wagner

Prerequisites: Stata 8 installed and working.
Basic knowledge of using Stata
interactively. Internet web browser
installed and working. (Course is
platform independent.)
Schedule:
Lecture 1 September 10
Lecture 2 September 17 One-week break September 23 through September 29 Lecture 3 October 1
Lecture 4 October 8
Closing discussion
Course ends October 22
Content:
o Organizing analyses
o Handling complex datasets o Use of macros
o Flow of control o Program arguments
o Bootstrapping standard errors
o Performing simulations
o Parsing program arguments (including the -syntax- command)
o ado-file programming

NetCourse 152. Advanced Stata programming

Course length: 7 weeks (5 lectures)
Course dates: October 8 through November 26
Deadline for enrollment: October 9
Cost: $150
Course Leaders: Kevin Crow, Kerry Kammire, and Derek Wagner

Prerequisites: Stata 8 installed and working.
Internet web browser installed and
working. NetCourse 151 or equivalent
knowledge. (Course is platform
independent.)
Schedule:
Lecture 1 October 8
Lecture 2 October 15
Lecture 3 October 22
One-week break October 22 through November 3 Lecture 4 November 11
Lecture 5 November 12
Closing discussion
Course ends November 26

Content:
o The -syntax- command and how it makes parsing command syntax
and options almost as easy as writing a syntax diagram,
o Estimates and return classes for saving and accessing
results, o Setting the estimation sample,
o Advanced macro manipulation,
o The full range of Stata programming concepts.

More information

You can find out more about Stata NetCourses by pointing your web browser to

http://www.stata.com/info/products/netcourse/

-- Kevin Crow, StataCorp
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/