RE: st: RE: mode

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: mode
Date   Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:47:02 +0100

I'm not clear on why you want the mode
or what you want to do with it, so
advice is difficult. Let's look
at data accessible to all:

. sysuse auto, clear

Suppose you notice that -rep78-
contains missing values and, faute de mieux,
you decide to impute those by the mode.
Then

. egen mode = mode(rep78)

. tab mode

shows that the variable is a constant,
the mode for all the values, so that if you were to

. replace rep78 = mode if missing(rep78)

that would copy the mode into missing values.

But hang on: this is very crude. For example,
a tabulation of -foreign- and -rep78- makes
it clear that knowing -foreign- makes a difference
to the distribution of -rep78-. So a better guess
would be the mode of -rep78- given -foreign-. That
is

. egen mode2 = mode(rep78), by(foreign)

except that, as trying it will show, you now have
to start thinking about appropriate choices.

-mode()- was in the first instance written because
people asked for it, and -- just as saner people
practise the piano, or play card games, or make millions --
the author likes little programming problems. But I've never
found the mode enormously useful in practice...

peter harper