st: Subscription costs

From   Constantine Daskalakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Subscription costs
Date   Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:40:39 -0400

At 06:39 AM 4/15/2004, Ron�n Conroy wrote:

The paper from Barros and Hirakata, which includes the Stata code for each
of the models, is free (another cheer for open-access publishing) as against
the 35 bucks that the Am J Epidemiol want in order for us to access research
that the taxpayer has already paid for once...

Ronan M Conroy ([email protected])
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 1 402 2431 (fax 2764)
I know this is a tangent but I object to this kind of twisting of facts. The RESEARCH might have been paid to some extent (or not) by taxpayers (although, if I wanted to be equally incendiary, I would point out that it's typically the US taxpayers, certainly not the Irish, who foot that bill). However, the publication costs are not covered. And $35 is dirt cheap compared to any other scientific publication to which you want to compare it. As for "free" open access publishing, nothing is free in life. Someone does indeed pick up the costs for such peer reviewed publication. It's just not the consumer at this time (but eventually it will be -- just wait and see).

The documents accompanying this transmission may contain confidential health or business information. This information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and arrange for the return or destruction of these documents.

Constantine Daskalakis, ScD
Assistant Professor,
Biostatistics Section, Thomas Jefferson University,
211 S. 9th St. #602, Philadelphia, PA 19107
Tel: 215-955-5695
Fax: 215-503-3804
Email: [email protected]
Webpage: http://www.jefferson.edu/medicine/pharmacology/bio/