st: AMD64 systems and the new Stata release for them

From   "Winfield Scott Burhans" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: AMD64 systems and the new Stata release for them
Date   Sat, 17 Jan 2004 12:42:49 -0500 (EST)

> You need a 64-bit machine. If speed is NOT an issue, your Sun machine
> with 8GB of RAM will work fine. If you want a more modern solution,
> Stata has just released a version for 64-bit Linux on AMD64/Opteron
> machines. I bet you by now you could get a stripped Opteron in a pizza
> box or desktop case for $2000, without the memory costs, which will be
> substantial if you want 8GB.

If speed is an issue (for instance, running -gllamm- on small datasets for
models with more than 2 random effects), can anyone advise me on:

1. How much improvement can I expect running the AMD64 and -gllamm- as above?

2. Any observations/ suggestions/possibilities on specific sources of
inexpensive AMD64 systems as described above?

Is this combination (the new Stata for these machines) a worthwhile
investment for those of us running PCs, will I get a substantial
improvement in performance...i.e. speed?

Thanks

Buzz Burhans