RE: st: tempfile & scope

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: tempfile & scope
Date   Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:33:30 +0100

Danielle H. Ferry

> On 9/25/03 12:09 PM, "Nicholas Winter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > By the way, I'm not clear why you need the -tempname- for
> the posting
> > defined repeatedly; you could just define one outside the
> loop, and reuse
> > it repeatedly.
>
> Yes, I think I didn't understand how -tempfile- works. I
> believe I have a
> better grasp on this now.
>
> This last point seems to be a good one. It's true, I don't
> need to define
> -tempname- in each loop. I guess I had just put it with
> -tempfile- out of
> habit. On the other hand, does it really make much
> difference? I don't
> imagine my computing time is shortened noticeably by
> putting it outside the
> loop, no?

Nick Winter (!= myself) raised a good point about this.
My own posting earlier was mostly fixated on the syntax
issue.

It makes a big difference, namely the difference
between putting everything in one file and separate
results in separate files. Computing time is
a side-issue.

With the former, presumably -dsconcat- would be
unnecessary.

To add more, we'd need to know more about the real problem.