RE: st: tempfile & scope

From   Nicholas Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: tempfile & scope
Date   Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:20:45 -0400

At 05:33 PM 9/25/2003 +0100, you wrote:
> This last point seems to be a good one. It's true, I don't
> need to define
> -tempname- in each loop. I guess I had just put it with
> -tempfile- out of
> habit. On the other hand, does it really make much
> difference? I don't
> imagine my computing time is shortened noticeably by
> putting it outside the
> loop, no?

Nick Winter (!= myself) raised a good point about this.
My own posting earlier was mostly fixated on the syntax
issue.

It makes a big difference, namely the difference
between putting everything in one file and separate
results in separate files. Computing time is
a side-issue.

With the former, presumably -dsconcat- would be
unnecessary.

To add more, we'd need to know more about the real problem.

Back to Nick Winter (!=Nick Cox; we'll leave aside whether that's > or <)... actually, I had only advocated putting the -tempname- outside the loop; then you would be opening each (different) file with the same handle.

To answer Danielle Ferry's question, no, I don't think that would make much difference in terms of performance--some tiny bit of extra overhead and memory for Stata to create an additional local, but trivial.

Nick Cox suggests that you could just post everything to one file, rather then sending it to two different files then concatenating. THat seems wise to me...

--Nick W

Nicholas Winter 308 White Hall
Assistant Professor t:607.255.8819
Department of Government f:607.255.4530
Cornell University [email protected]
Ithaca, NY 14853-7901 falcon.arts.cornell.edu/nw53
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/