Re: st: display problem with Stata graphs turned into pdfs

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: display problem with Stata graphs turned into pdfs
Date   Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:03:02 -0500 (CDT)

Dimitriy V. Masterov ([email protected]) wrote
> I use Stata 8.1, and frequently save graphs in ps format. I then turn
> these graphs into pdf files using Adobe distiller (version 6.0). When I
> open these graphs that were made with Stata, frequently the figure
> captions and legend labels are displayed incorrectly, that is in the wrong
> place, with word and letters superimposed. This only happens with Stata
> graphs, so I am wondering if there is something special about Stata-made
> ps files and Acrobat 6.0 that I can adjust. I did not have this problem
> with Acrobat 5.0 (or with graphs made in Excel or Matlab), but I many
> people in my work group have switched to Acrobat 6.0 and so I can't remedy
> it using Acrobat 5.0. The problem occasionally goes away if I reopen the
> file, but it usually means that simply another figure in the file will
> become illegible.

First, Dimitriy should make sure that he is using the very latest
update of Stata 8.1:

   . update all
   . update swap       (if a new executable was downloaded)

There was a change in the latest executable that directly relates
to the creation of EPS files from Stata graphs.

If Dimitriy is embedding graphs in other documents, he should be sure
to use EPS files rather than PS files.

If, after downloading the latest executable update, Dimitriy continues
to experience problems, he should contact Stata Technical Services
at [email protected] with as much information as possible, including
example graphs with which he experiences this problem both in Stata
.gph format and in .eps format after being exported from Stata.  Examples
of the bad .pdf files will also be helpful.

--Alan
([email protected])