st: display problem with Stata graphs turned into pdfs

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: display problem with Stata graphs turned into pdfs
Date   Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:32:05 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Statalist,

I hope this problem is an acceptable question for this list. I have
already discussed it with Adobe tech support, and they did not have a
clue, so perhaps someone who has had the same problem in the past can help
me here.

I use Stata 8.1, and frequently save graphs in ps format. I then turn
these graphs into pdf files using Adobe distiller (version 6.0). When I
open these graphs that were made with Stata, frequently the figure
captions and legend labels are displayed incorrectly, that is in the wrong
place, with word and letters superimposed. This only happens with Stata
graphs, so I am wondering if there is something special about Stata-made
ps files and Acrobat 6.0 that I can adjust. I did not have this problem
with Acrobat 5.0 (or with graphs made in Excel or Matlab), but I many
people in my work group have switched to Acrobat 6.0 and so I can't remedy
it using Acrobat 5.0. The problem occasionally goes away if I reopen the
file, but it usually means that simply another figure in the file will
become illegible.

I don't think this is a memory or a video card issue.

I would be very grateful for any help in this matter.

sincerely,
Dimitriy V. Masterov

Dimitriy V. Masterov

Center for Social Program Evaluation