st: newbie question: nonsig posthoc after sig anova

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: newbie question: nonsig posthoc after sig anova
Date   Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:29:24 -0700

I'm a new member to the list.  My background is in neuropsychology rather
than statistics so please excuse this naive question.  I did a simple ANOVA
comparing a mean score across five groups.  The ANOVA was barely
significanct (0.04) but in post hoc tests using Bonferroni, Scheffe and
Sida none of the group mean differences were near significant (the largest
group mean difference had a p of 0.14).

Any explanation is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Seward

The information contained in this transmission may be legally privileged
and/or confidential information. Any dissemination, distribution or copying
of this transmission by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited. If you receive this in error, please inform the sender
immediately and remove any record of this message.