Re: st: Re: multinomial logit on grouped data

From   Marcello Pagano <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: multinomial logit on grouped data
Date   Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:18:41 -0400

The short answer to your question is, no.

A workaround is to do the marginal logistics and work back. That is,
redo the problem three times, each time doing a logistic. First time with y0
versus the rest, second time with y1 versus the rest, and the third time with
y2 versus the rest. If your sample sizes are large and you are not close to
the boundaries (your ys are not close to zero), your answers should not be
that much different. There is a paper to that effect, Begg & Gray (1984)
Calculation of polychotomous logistic regression parameters using
individualized regression, Biometrika 71: 11-18.

(I also submitted "begg gray" to Google and got this paper
www.mzes.uni-mannheim.de/publications/wp/wp-19.pdf
where an example is worked out.)

m.p.

----- Original Message ----- From: "A. Mushfiq Mobarak" <[email protected]>