st: Stat-Transfer Ver.6

From   "Siyam,AA (pgr)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stat-Transfer Ver.6
Date   Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:03:35 +0100

Dear Stat-listers,

I have a dta-file version 7 that I need to provide to my colleague as an SPSS file- I have realised our current version of Stat-transfer can not read Stata 7 files.

I have tried saving the file as version 6 by "save, replace old" after the hassle of having to reduce all variable names to 8-characters or less.

My query comes in two parts:

1.	I still have a problem with labels - Stata is telling me "value label name ..  too long"
	What can I do about that...

2. 	If I manage to update  Stat - Transfer Ver 6.0, and transfer my original Ver 7.0 files to SPSS , will I still face the same 	problem  (a variable name which is more than 8 characters) this time with  SPSS.

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Best regards
Amani

Amani Siyam (Dr)
Research Assistant / Statistical Advisor
Statistics Department, LSE
Houghton Street, London WC2A  2AE
Tel:  0207- 955 6717
Fax: 0207- 955 7416