st: RE: Medians: Comparison and confidence intervals

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Medians: Comparison and confidence intervals
Date   Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:49:15 +0100

Banya, Winston

> I am using STATA 6 and want to find out how to calculate
> the confidence of a
> median and also compare 2 or 3 medians. I am aware that
> version 7 has
> facility for the later part of my query but an order to
> upgrade to version 7
> is being processed and I  may not get the copy for another
> 2 weeks or so.  I
> am also aware that I can use the ranksum command for
> testing the equality of
> 2 population medians. How different is ranksum or kwallis
> from the median
> command in version 7. And is there any way I can handle
> this problem of
> directly comparing 2 or more medians and finding the
> confidence interval of
> a median with my present facility?

Typing

search median

in your Stata 6 will indicate what is available to you right now.
In particular, check out Roger Newson's -cendif-.