Re: st: theory reg vs. qreg

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: theory reg vs. qreg
Date   Tue, 30 Apr 2013 15:31:04 +0100

The deeper idea, I suggest, is that it is the _definition_ of a
regression line (function, more generally) that it is the locus of the
means of the response. On top of that we often build an _assertion_ or
_assumption_ that that function is linear in the parameters.

It's important to separate the assumptions of linear models from the
estimators we happen to use to get at parameters. That the regression
line goes through the means is not a consequence of using OLS.