Re: st: xtlogit: panel data transformation's recast to double makes model incomputable

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: xtlogit: panel data transformation's recast to double makes model incomputable
Date   Wed, 3 Apr 2013 15:54:59 +0100

The transformations that -ladder- tries are typically only defined for
positive variables. As I recall, many of your variables are variously
positive and negative.

The usual transformations for right-skewed variables, such as square
root and logarithmic, are thus no use in your case.

This is precisely why cube root and inverse hyperbolic functions were
suggested earlier/

On the face of it that is not an explanation of why all the
transformations fail, but I'd not be inclined to think that -ladder-
will help your problem.

I'm afraid that you have keep reminding us of basics -- e.g. what is
-close- and what are its descriptive statistics -- as even those
following your threads can't be expected to keep track of all earlier