Re: st: ksmirnov and normality

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <>
Subject   Re: st: ksmirnov and normality
Date   Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:05:37 -0500

Kolmogorov-Smirnov has such a non-specific alternative hypothesis that
its power is VERY low. Also, normality testing is often not very
useful, so I would encourage you to consider whether it's even very
informative. Plots such as qnorm is often more helpful.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Nahla Betelmal <> wrote:
> dear statalist,
> I found a paper says that Kolmogorov-Smirnov test is used for
> normality test in SPSS and SAS, but not in STATA. In STATA ksmirnov
> command is used for the one or two samples Kolmogorov-Smirnov test.
> the paper,
> page 2
> I have two questions, does this mean that we can not use ksmirnov
> command to test normality for one sample in STATA?
> Second, what is the meaning behind STATA ksmirnov command is used for
> the one sample Kolmogorov-Smirnov test, other than normality test?
> what is the point the author wants to make?
> N.B my sample size is 300 observations
> Many thanks
> Nahla Betelmal
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

JVVerkuilen, PhD

"Everybody loves progress but nobody likes change." ---Fortune cookie, 1/13/13.