st: FW: forvalues question...

From   "Mahometa, Michael J" <michael.mahometa@ssc.utexas.edu>
Subject   st: FW: forvalues question...
Date   Fri, 8 Feb 2013 14:04:28 +0000

All,

I've got a dataset that has multiple rows for one year, with several sequential variables. And, I'd like to sum what happens over the year (using something like collapse). I have 20 variables and the data looks like:

Year   var1  var2  var3  var4  var5 ....
1999   2     5     6     1     4
1999   4     1     5     2     5
1999   1     3     5     6     7
2000   6     5     1     3     8
2000   1     1     2     3     6

So the current "brute force" method is:
collapse (sum) var1_s=var1 var2_s=var2 ///
var3_s=var3 var4_s=var4, by(year)

But this seems in-elegant.

Is there a solution like forvalues? Something like:
collapse (sum) ///
forvalues num = 1(1)20 { ///
var'num'_s = var'num' ///
}, by(year)