RE: st: Discrepancy between metan vs metareg with one variable

From   "Trelle Sven" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Discrepancy between metan vs metareg with one variable
Date   Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:55:28 +0100

If my understanding is correct I would assume that this is because a
meta-regression estimates one random-effect (between-trial
heterogeneity; one tau-square==variance of the underlying normal
distribution) whereas a sub-group analysis using metan estimates
separate random-effects for each subgroup (n tau-squares).
Hence,interpretation is different for these two approaches. You will see
large differences between the two approaches if the stratification is
able to explain heterogeneity only in some subgroups but not all.

To replicate the test-statistic you would need to force metan to
estimate only one tau-square (across the subgroups) but I wouldn't know
how to do this.

Best
Sven TRelle