st: Discrepancy between metan vs metareg with one variable

From   Paul Karner <pkarner@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Discrepancy between metan vs metareg with one variable
Date   Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:30:11 -0500

I have a question about Stata's (user-written) meta analysis functions.

When I run metareg with a single variable ("group1"), why is the
coefficient estimate on group1 slightly different from what I get when
I run metan, random, by(group1) and subtract the effect estimates for
the two subgroups (i.e., group1==1 and group1==0)?

I thought of using the p-value off the group1 coefficient in metareg
as a way of testing the significance of the difference between the
effect sizes reported by metan, but since the estimates don't line up
exactly I'm now wary of doing so.

Many thanks in advance for your insights!

Paul