st: Quantiles and variance with pweight

From   Adam Cheung <>
Subject   st: Quantiles and variance with pweight
Date   Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:08:36 +0800 (SGT)

Dear all,

I am trying to do some descriptive analysis with some variables (e.g. income). I would like to look at different quantiles, median and the variance of the variables. However, my data oversampled certain groups of people, therefore pweight is needed.

Without weighting, I know sum Y, de can already do all the things I want. But I don't know how to do the same thing, if weighting is required. Is it still statistically appropriate to talk about properties such as quantiles, median and variance under weighting?

Thanks a lot,