Re: st: Discrepancy between metan vs metareg with one variable

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Discrepancy between metan vs metareg with one variable
Date   Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:09:41 -0500

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Paul Karner <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a question about Stata's (user-written) meta analysis functions.
>
> When I run metareg with a single variable ("group1"), why is the
> coefficient estimate on group1 slightly different from what I get when
> I run metan, random, by(group1) and subtract the effect estimates for
> the two subgroups (i.e., group1==1 and group1==0)?

How different is different? The two methods may be using slightly
different estimators as defaults, so for instance if one is using Der
Simonian-Laird and the other REML, you're going to have differences.
You need to check to see if you're estimating the model the same way
and then compare. Even then they may well not line up perfectly if
there are other slight differences in the programming between the two
procedures, but they should be on par up to about four decimal places.