RE: st: Stripplot: problem with axis for variable with only 2 observations

From   "Meghan Doiron, Miss" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stripplot: problem with axis for variable with only 2 observations
Date   Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:35:38 +0000

Dear statalist,

I am a first time poster and a relatively new Stata user. I would like to apologize for the errors in my original post.

Indeed I was misinterpreting the use of a bar plot and a box plot. In fact what I was trying to show was something of a box and whisker plot (with mean, median and range) superimposed over my points.

Thank you to Nick Cox for your help with the proper Syntax and for clarification.

In the interest of following the Statalist guidelines here is my original Syntax, followed by the solution:

original syntax:

stripplot price_yuca* if week_yuca!=6 & week_yuca!=11 & week_yuca!=12, stack bar over(who_yucalw) by(week_yuca, compact col(1) note("")) ysc(reverse) subtitle(, pos(9) ring(1) nobexpand bcolor(none) placement(e)) ytitle("") xtitle(Price yuca (soles))

Updated (with mean, median and range, and removed "bar" command)

egen mean=mean(price_yuca), by(who_yucalw week_yuca)
egen median=median(price_yuca), by(who_yucalw week_yuca)
egen min=min(price_yuca), by(who_yucalw week_yuca)
egen max=max(price_yuca), by(who_yucalw week_yuca)

stripplot price_yuca* if week_yuca!=6 & week_yuca!=11 & week_yuca!=12,stack over(who_yucalw) by(week_yuca, compact col(1) note(""))subtitle(, pos(9) ring(1)nobexpand bcolor(none) placement(e))ytitle("") xtitle(Price yuca (soles)) height(0.5) msize(*.8)addplot(scatter who_yuca2 mean, mcolor(orange) ms(Dh) msize(*1.2) ||scatter who_yuca2 median, mcolor(blue) ms(+) || rcap min max who_yuca2, horizontal)

Thank you for your help!

Meghan Doiron
MSc Candidate Geography
McGill University