st: Stripplot: problem with axis for variable with only 2 observations

From   "Meghan Doiron, Miss" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stripplot: problem with axis for variable with only 2 observations
Date   Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:09:09 +0000

Dear stata list,

I am using a stripplot to compare community perceptions of prices versus actual market prices (rematista) and see how well the individual observations match up on different weeks. Stripplot seems to be the best option given that I have two categorical variables (week and community versus market) and one continuous variable: price. I am basically trying to recreate one of the stripplot graphs from http://www.survey-design.com.au/Usergraphs.html (9th graph down) with my data.  When I plot this using the "bar" option I get strangely large values on the x-axis, and the legend ranges from -100 to +100 even though my price variable only ranges between 5 and 20. By contrast, if I use the "box" option instead of "bar" this doesn't happen. I tried changing the axis but the stata command just ignores my request to makes the legend smaller. Attached are the graphs for reference.

Please help!

Meghan Doiron

MSc Candidate Geography

McGill University