Re: st: most requested *simple* features to help SPSS users transition

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <>
Subject   Re: st: most requested *simple* features to help SPSS users transition
Date   Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:58:50 -0400

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM, David Radwin <> wrote:
> As far as I know there is no experimental or quasi-experimental study
> comparing the relative advantages and disadvantages of various statistical
> software packages for teaching purposes. However, this report, based on
> the long experience of statistical consultant Michael Mitchell, concluded
> that Stata was easier to teach than SPSS or SAS.

I taught advanced courses R for several years but felt like I was
constantly dealing with R's idiosyncrasies, and of course the fact
that I simply don't especially *like* R, which I am sure came through
to them. (That said, I love R graphics.) That might corrupt any
conclusions a single instructor would have.

So I decided that I might as well teach what I wanted to. There are
things that R is easier on and it's a worthy program for folks to
learn, but for the most part Stata is nicer for non-methodologists and
it's a much more consistent and integrated experience than SPSS.