Re: st: most requested *simple* features to help SPSS users transition

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: most requested *simple* features to help SPSS users transition
Date   Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:46:06 -0500

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM, JVerkuilen (Gmail)
<[email protected]> wrote:>
> (3) SPSS has one "killer app": Data management in it is quite nice.
> For instance, "automatic recode" is monumentally convenient. This
> takes a variable, automatically creates a new one with sequential
> numbers and labels it with the values of the old variables. The
> variable can be big 'n nasty, like a string with hundreds of unique
> entries. The ability to do things like paste labels and so on is also
> handy, though it may go against the general philosophy of careful
> tracing of all changes to data.

If I remember correctly, the equivalent in Stata would simply be the
-encode- command:

sysuse auto, clear
encode make, g(make2)

I do not really remember if the "automatic recode" covers things that
-egen, group()- can do, but I don't think so. At any rate, I don't
believe SPSS has even one single advantage over Stata... ;)

Joerg