Re: st: ordered logistic regression with endogenous variable

From   "Anat (Manes) Tchetchik" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ordered logistic regression with endogenous variable
Date   Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:36:40 +0200

Okay! I'll try this path as well, Thanks much!

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Austin Nichols
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Anat (Manes) Tchetchik <[email protected]>:
> You can also recast your ordinal variable as ranging from 0 to 1
> with outcomes in {0,.25,.5,.75,1} and use a fractional model
> as described in e.g.
> "Inference for partial effects in nonlinear panel-data models using Stata"
> by Jeffrey Wooldridge, linked from
> http://www.stata.com/meeting/snasug08/abstracts.html
>
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Anat (Manes) Tchetchik
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Thanks Jay,
>> Actually this is not our main model (rather it is an "auxiliary" one
>> aiming to validate some relations) our main model is a count one with
>> IVs.
>> I'm not sure I understood what did you mean by: problems with the
>> residuals, I ran the  IVregress and received the following stats.
>> (with some of the coefficients signif. as expected )
>> Instrumental variables (2SLS) regression      Number of obs =  603
>>                                                        Wald chi2(14) =  169.62
>>                                                        Prob > chi2   =  0.0000
>>                                                        R-squared     =  0.3208
>>                                                        Root MSE      =  1.0537
>> Anat
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 7:10 PM, JVerkuilen (Gmail)
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's not too bad in terms of skew, but you could have important
>>> subgroups be skewed, so if for instance males are really positive on
>>> the measure and females are really negative, the overall measure might
>>> appear symmetric but not be at the level you want to analyze.
>>>
>>> You will get some attenuation of statistical power due to the coarse
>>> response scale. You can try running an ordinary estimator, but if you
>>> notice problems with the residuals, I'd switch to -gllamm- for an
>>> ordinal probit model, or -gmm-. Specifying the model for either is not
>>> a trivial matter, though, so I totally understand the desire to work
>>> with a linear estimator!

Anat Tchetchik, PhD
Department of Hotel and Tourism Management
Guilford Glazer Faculty of Business and Management
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
P.O.Box: 653
Beer-Sheva, Israel, 84105

E-mail:       [email protected]